Getting your Voice heard
Vulnerable people often don’t have the ability to make decisions or they find it hard to have their voices heard when decisions are being made about their lives. Big decisions, important decisions, even life changing decisions. And yet this happens every day, sometimes deliberately, sometimes by people in positions of power, sometimes by accident or because it is easier to make those decisions quickly rather than take the time to find out what a disabled, elderly or vulnerable person wants.
Do any of these statements relate to you or someone you know?
It is wrong ….
- To move you or make other decisions without knowing your views
- For anyone to decide to spend your money for you without asking
- To give you medical treatment without informed consent
- To have to put up with physical or sexual abuse
- For your keyworker to change without asking you
- To feel afraid in your own home
- To be disbelieved when you want to be listened to
- To be stopped from complaining
- To be stopped from seeing anyone you want
- To be denied opportunities to go out and enjoy yourself because of your behaviour
- To have your possessions taken away
- To be locked in your room
- For your views and choices to be ignored
- To be denied knowledge of your rights, or information about your treatment and service options
- For anyone to shout at you, or be rude
- To be discriminated against because of your gender, religion, race, culture, disability or sexuality
- To have to live with someone you don’t like
- To not have access to meetings that concern you
This is where Shropshire Peer Counselling and Advocacy Service (PCAS) can help. We are an independent Advocacy service that assists with safeguarding people who are vulnerable and supporting disabled people at risk of losing their homes, their children, their jobs, their money, their responsibilities or their assistance or care packages.
Our trained advocates act as a spokesperson for people who need a stronger voice, helping with understanding and decision making. We empower people and enabling them to gain access to information, explore and understand their options and to make their views and wishes known
Sadly, we are now the only advocacy service in Shropshire offering long term help, if you think you could help us in some way, please see https://shropshirepcas.co.uk/ or tel: 01691 658008 or email: email@example.com